Franklin Graham, who is widely respected as the heir-apparent to his father, iconic evangelist Billy Graham, isn't shy about speaking out for God's truth. So when he saw Christians compromise their principles to reach out to false religions in the name of ecumenism, it was no surprise that it drew a harsh response.
Graham this week slammed the National Cathedral in Washington for allowing Muslims to hold their first prayer service there last Friday.
"It's sad to see a church open its doors to the worship of anything other than the One True God of the Bible who sent His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, to earth to save us from our sins," said Graham, head of the Samaritan's Purse humanitarian aid ministry.
The younger Graham took to Facebook and spoke to the news media to register his extreme displeasure that a Christian cathedral—long a Washington landmark—would willingly be handed over to Muslims by the Cathedral's Episcopalian leadership.
Muslims, in separate groups of men and women, took off their shoes, spread their prayer rugs facing east toward Mecca, turning their backs on the crucifix in front of the chapel, knelt and prayed.
"Jesus was clear when He said, 'I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me,'" (John 14:6) Graham said in a Facebook post.
Of the many comments on his post, Carol Layaog wrote, "The Lord told us these things must be, in the last days they will call evil good and good they will call evil! That doesn't make it any less heartbreaking! 'I came to them and they knew me not!'"
Some suggested that Christians and Muslims serve the same God. Graham disagreed strongly—as did Christine Weick, 50, from Michigan, who rose in the midst of the service and shouted, "Jesus Christ died on that cross. He is the reason we are to worship only Him. Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior. We have ... allowed you your mosques in this country. Why don't you worship in your mosques and leave our churches alone? We are a country founded on Christian principles."
She was escorted from the cathedral and turned over to police, who took her outside and let her go without charges.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.