Pastors generally believe same-sex marriage and abortion are wrong, but most of them won't talk to their congregations about it for fear of losing members.
That's a basic takeaway from a recent Barna Group study. Research expert George Barna was on American Family Radio's Today's Issues broadcast to discuss what he discovered.
"What we're finding is that when we ask them about all the key issues of the day, [90 percent of them are] telling us, 'Yes, the Bible speaks to every one of these issues.' Then we ask them, 'Well, are you teaching your people what the Bible says about those issues?'—and the numbers drop ... to less than 10 percent of pastors who say they will speak to it," One News Now reports Barna saying.
As it turns out, pastors are willing to do "almost nothing" to get people active in politics.
"So the thing that struck me has been that when we talk about the separation of church and state, it's that churches have separated themselves from the activities of the state—and that's to the detriment of the state and its people," Barna said.
Barna pointed to five factors that most pastors turn to when asked if their church is successful: attendance, giving, number of programs, number of staff and square footage.
"Now all of those things are good measures, except for one tiny fact: Jesus didn't die for any of them," Barna said. "What I'm suggesting is [those pastors] won't probably get involved in politics, because it's very controversial. Controversy keeps people from being in the seats, controversy keeps people from giving money, from attending programs."
Barna also blames Bible school, in part, for the lack of motivation. Pastors, he said, are taught to exegete Scripture rather than engaging in cultural issues.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details