An Oklahoma teenager is charged with traveling to Kenya to sexually abuse children at a missionary children's home in the East African country, prosecutors said on Tuesday.
According to records released by the U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Oklahoma, Matthew Lane Durham, 19, volunteered at the Upendo Children's Home in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, which helps care for neglected and disabled children.
It said Durham, of Edmond, visited the home first in 2012, then twice last year, and from April to June of this year. During his latest trip, it said, he stayed at the home in an "overflow bunk," rather than off-site with a sponsor family.
According to the criminal affidavit, from April to June, Durham allegedly engaged in sexual acts with multiple children, male and female, aged between 4 and 10 years old.
A live-in caretaker at the facility, which was set up by an Edmond citizen who immigrated to the United States from Kenya, said that, when asked, the children said Durham either touched them sexually or told them to touch themselves while he watched.
When confronted by the founder of Upendo and several church members, Durham allegedly confessed to several instances of rape and sexual abuse of children, the affidavit said, adding that at least one of the victims is HIV-positive.
Durham was arrested on July 17 and appeared before a judge in Oklahoma City on Friday. He is held without bond and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for Aug. 1.
If convicted, Durham faces up to life in prison.
Robert Troester of the U.S. Attorney's office said Durham will be tried in Oklahoma City. He said he could not comment on whether Kenya might try to extradite the teen to face criminal charges in that country.
Reporting by Heide Brandes; Editing by Daniel Wallis; Editing by Sandra Maler
© 2014 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details