On Monday the United States Supreme Court handed down a major decision in the Hobby Lobby case. It was a landmark ruling for religious protections in the marketplace, and as the Wall Street Journal wrote, it was "one of the most important rulings on religion in years." The news was everywhere except one curious place: Christian TV. Please tell me if I missed it, but I have DirecTV, which includes the following Christian television networks:
- The Church Channel
- God TV
- and even SBN (The Jimmy Swaggart Network)
I scanned during the day and into the evening and couldn't find a single reference to one of the most important Supreme Court rulings on religious faith in years. On the other hand, it was all over Christian radio, but Christian television? Not a peep that I could find.
Yesterday, millions of people had questions about the case, and what it meant. The opposition was lashing out—often hysterically—and inaccuracies were everywhere. Christian TV could have provided real answers, by featuring Christian legal experts, cultural commentators, theologians, local pastors—literally a range of people who could help us navigate today's shifting culture. Plus, the coverage could have been live, just as the decision was handed down.
Christian TV is often criticized for all the ministries focused on money, and some excessive TV evangelists—especially when there are so many other powerfully compelling ways to share the gospel on television. But when it comes to helping Christians understand the world around them, be there when major changes happen and provide immediate insight into the spiritual dimensions of our world, I'm afraid it's completely AWOL.
Which begs the question: What would it take, and what would happen, if Christian television actually reached its potential?
Phil Cooke is a media consultant focused mainly on the Christian market, as well as a vocal critic of contemporary American and American-influenced Christian culture. Click here to visit his website.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details