Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) sent Janesville School District in Wisconsin a letter Wednesday applauding its apology for showing students a one-sided video that promotes same-sex marriage and attacks religious views to the contrary.
"Schoolchildren should receive an education that is free from ideological or political bias and that does not disparage any of their beliefs," says ADF senior legal counsel Jeremy Tedesco. "Student indoctrination is inappropriate, especially on an issue as important as marriage. Students and parents deserve better. The district recognized its mistake and deserves to be commended."
In April, students at Craig High School were shown a video that promotes same-sex marriage and condemns supporters of marriage between one man and one woman. The video shows students saying it is "insane" and "outrageous" that "only" 14 states (at the time the video was created) allow same-sex marriage. The video also shows students responding to Christian objections to same-sex marriage. Responses included, "Cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it," "You guys are basic and nobody likes you" and "No one cares what you think."
The letter explains that Janesville School District "rightly determined that showing the video contravened its Academic Freedom and Controversial Issues in the Classroom policies" and that the video's "disparagement of religious beliefs opposing same-sex marriage likely violated the Establishment Clause."
The letter also notes that the "Board of Education recognizes students' 'right to receive competent instruction in an atmosphere free from bias and prejudice.'" Moreover, the school's policy "affirms that 'although teachers have the right to express their own viewpoints and opinions, they do not have the right to indoctrinate students.'"
"Schools are wise to take an unbiased and objective approach when teaching about controversial social issues," adds ADF litigation counsel Jonathan Scruggs. "We commend the district for recognizing that the one-sided, anti-religious same-sex marriage video shown in class violated its policies and undermined parental authority. We hope more school districts follow their lead."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details