A Tennessee boy is receiving legal help after being told he couldn't read his Bible during an after-school program.
"He had pulled his Bible out and he was told to put it away," 9-year-old Austin Grayson's mother, Lisa Koepfgen, told Nashville television station WTVF. "When he was told to put it away, he recited the First Amendment."
"Free country, free religion," Austin told his teacher.
"Apparently they didn't like that," his mother said. "They saw it to be disrespectful."
Koepfgen said the school told her that her son couldn't read religious material because the after school program, REACH, was funded by public money.
The American Civil Liberties Union stepped in to defend Austin.
They sent letter to the Cannon County REACH after-school program that read in part, "Tennessee public school students cannot be denied the right to engage in religious activities."
The ACLU letter requests that the after-school program train its employees on their "obligation under the law" to protect students religious liberties.
It also asks that Austin be allowed to read his Bible during free time and activity time.
"I am so thankful that the law has been clarified," Koepfgen said. "You know not only for REACH, but for everyone this story has touched."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details