The government is punishing U.S. military chaplains and Christian service members for their beliefs on traditional marriage, says the Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty.
The group provided written testimony Tuesday about the impact of recent Department of Defense policies on religious liberty for service members, including chaplains.
“No American, especially those who wear our nation’s military uniforms, should be denied their God-given, constitutionally protected religious freedoms,” says retired Chaplain Col. Ron Crews, executive director for Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty.
“While there is no question chaplains will continue to serve all service members, there is increasing reason to be concerned that the government will not allow them the freedom to do that job as the Constitution requires,” Crews continues. “And that diminished liberty will, in turn, harm those whom chaplains exist to serve: service members.”
The testimony explains, “Our nation has a history ... of working hard to protect and accommodate military religious liberty, a tradition which has limited restrictions on service members’ ability to live their faiths. ... But our government has been retreating from that history of accommodation, enacting new policies without considering the harm to religious liberty and occasionally even taking affirmatively hostile actions toward faith. The vast majority of these blows to religious expression have come in the context of matters of sexual ethics, specifically homosexuality."
“The Obama administration has quietly but steadily created a type of sexual orientation non-discrimination requirement for the military,” the testimony continues. “Further, the administration has vocally adopted a pro-homosexuality position. Both broad developments have created conflicts with service members and chaplains who hold traditional religious views on marriage and sexuality: that sex is meant for marriage, and marriage means a union between a man and a woman.
“The military is duty-bound to take steps to remedy the current unfavorable climate for religious liberty. We ask the House Armed Services Committee to continue to advocate for religious liberty protections for chaplains and those they serve.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details