Pro-life attorneys will argue Monday in a federal appeals court in favor of upholding Texas’ abortion law. One issue at stake is a portion of the law that requires abortionists to have admitting privileges at a local hospital where women can be treated in the event of complications.
In October a lower court ruled to strike this requirement. The following month, Alliance Defending Freedom, Bioethics Defense Fund and Family Research Council filed a friend-of-the-court brief with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit in favor of the requirement.
“The health and safety of women is more important than an abortionist’s bottom line—including the bottom line of Planned Parenthood, which is the nation’s biggest abortion seller,” said ADF Senior Counsel Steven H. Aden. “The fact that Planned Parenthood opposes these commonsense health requirements just proves they care more about profiting from cheap chemical abortions than about women’s health and safety.”
The joint brief in support of the law explained that medical research has shown that “admitting privileges promote both the physical and emotional well-being of patients, and may be necessary in emergency circumstances if doctors are to provide an acceptable level of care.”
The brief also notes that the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled the government has a “ ‘legitimate interest in seeing to it that abortion, like any other medical procedure, is performed under circumstances that insure maximum safety for the patient.’ ”
“People may hold different views about abortion, but everyone can agree that Planned Parenthood should put the safety and health of women first,” added BDF Chief Counsel Dorinda C. Bordlee. “We hope this law will be upheld so that women’s lives will not play second fiddle to Planned Parenthood’s profit margin.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details