Some of the worst flooding in Colorado history has claimed the lives of at least six people, left hundreds unaccounted for and thousands homeless, causing the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team to deploy to the Rocky Mountains.
With rains falling through the weekend and most areas suffering from a sudden surge caused by 15 inches of rain, mudslides have complicated an enormous disaster area from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs.
“It’s the worst that anyone has ever seen,” says Al New, Rapid Response Team manager of deployments and operations. “They’re calling it their 100-year flood.”
Nineteen counties remain under high threat of flooding, with the towns of Longmont and Lyons—where two people have died—taking particularly hard hits, according to New. Parts of Interstate 70 and Interstate 25 were shut down.
“There’s a lot of people missing, but they’re not able to get into these areas because of the mudslides, and the roads are washed out,” New says. “They can’t get helicopters in.”
Boulder has seen virtually every waterway flooded, washing away roads, bridges and homes in all parts of Boulder County. Evacuations were ordered for 4,000 residents along Boulder Creek.
“You’re looking at Boulder, Fort Collins, Aurora, Longmont, Lyons,” New says, rattling off just some of the cities devastated.
New and his wife, Toni, deployed to Colorado on Saturday to assess the situation along with Samaritan’s Purse. The Rapid Response Team will likely bring out chaplain coordinators sometime this week and volunteer chaplains soon thereafter to help minister to the emotional and spiritual care of those devastated by the massive floods.
“We’ll be looking to see where we can set up our base camp,” New says.
Colorado has seen more than its share of disasters in the past several years. The Rapid Response Team has deployed to wildfires in both 2012 and 2013 and had chaplains at the scene of the Aurora movie theater the morning after the shooting tragedy.
Click here to read the original article at BillyGraham.org.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details