Excommunicated Zambian Archbishop Emmanuel Milingo, who advocates for married priests within the Roman Catholic Church, said he has not split from Rome though many of the priests he ordained no longer see themselves as part of the church.
“We are not a breakaway church,” said Milingo, who married Maria Sung, a Korean acupuncturist, in 2001. “Within the Catholic Church married priests existed for a thousand years.”
Milingo’s most recent statement may be part of an effort to reinstate his pension, which was revoked after he was excommunicated by the Vatican in 2006 after he consecrated four married priests as bishops.
In March, Milingo retired from ministry, appointing Archbishop Peter Paul Brennan of the African Orthodox Church and the Ecumenical Catholic Diocese of the Americas as his movement’s head.
“He considers himself a Roman Catholic and will remain so all his life,” said Brennan. “He remains a Roman Catholic archbishop. He offers Mass daily and prays five rosaries—one is for the Holy Father—and he prays the Divine Office every day.”
Milingo’s quest to reunite with Rome may be quixotic. The Catholic Church has cut all ties to him.
Milingo’s movement wants the church to apologize for allegedly selling married priests’ wives and children as slaves after Pope Gregory VII made celibacy a requirement in the 11th century.
But the married priests movement in Africa is fractured; many priests have moved on and no longer see themselves as part of the Catholic Church.
Copyright 2013 Religion News Service. All rights reserved. No part of this transmission may be distributed or reproduced without written permission.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details