A human rights commissioner in Iowa told a Christian opponent of same-sex marriage that he and his entire family should “burn in hell.”
The commissioner, 49-year-old Scott Raasch, sent threatening emails to the Rev. Cary Gordon, who had campaigned against gay marriage.
Yet Raasch still believes he should keep his role on the Human Rights Commission, claiming he would act impartially.
In angry emails, Raasch wrote, “You will get what’s coming to you sooner or later. I hope you rot in hell," adding, “I think there are many people that deserve to burn in hell … including you and your entire family.”
Raasch also wrote, “Now be a good little bigot and go break some more laws.”
Raasch has since apologized to Gordon and insists he would hold no bias against people of faith in his role at the Human Rights Commission.
In his apology, Raasch said, “As I have stated to the City Council, although we disagree on many issues, I hold no bias against religious people generally or against members of Cornerstone and would stand up to protect their legal rights the same as any other protected class.”
Gordon, of Cornerstone World Outreach Church, has accepted the apology but still thinks Raasch should step down from his role on the Commission.
“As a commissioner, you are expected to defend me against anti-religious discrimination,” Gordon said.
“Why not do the honorable thing,” he added, “and tender your resignation to the council so that no one in our community has to worry about whether or not you are out to get them with power?”
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.