A battle between religious freedom and gay rights is unfolding in Colorado.
A gay couple has filed a discrimination complaint against Masterpiece Cakeshop after the co-owner, Jack Phillips, refused to sell them a wedding cake because of his Christian faith.
The couple planned to marry in Massachusetts and celebrate in Colorado, where civil unions are legal. Colorado law does not provide religious protections for businesses.
"Religious freedom is a fundamental right in America and it's something that we champion at the ACLU," said Mark Silverstein, the legal director of the group in Colorado, which filed the complaint on behalf of the couple.
"We are all entitled to our religious beliefs and we fight for that. But someone's personal religious beliefs don't justify breaking the law by discriminating against others in the public sphere," he said.
If Phillips loses the case and continues to refuse making cakes, he would face fines of $500 per case and up to a year in jail.
His attorney Nicolle Martin said, "It would force him to choose between his conscience and a paycheck. I just think that's an intolerable choice."
"We don't believe that this is a case about commerce. At its heart, this is a case about conscience," she said.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details