A man says he was refused a job at a country house hotel near Colchester—simply because he was a Christian.
Graphic designer Jamie Haxby applied for a job at Prested Hall hotel in the United Kingdom to assist with marketing and promotion. But, he claims, he was told he couldn’t have the job because some of the hotel staff are atheists who wouldn’t work with a committed Christian.
Haxby has tried to resolve his dispute with the hotel, but they have ignored his approaches and the matter is now heading for an Employment Tribunal.
According to Haxby’s claim form submitted to the Employment Tribunal, he was interviewed for the job on Dec. 4 by Celie Parker. He says that during the job interview he was asked whether he was a Christian, and he said yes.
As Parker flicked through his portfolio, she noticed that it contained work done for churches and other Christian groups. She said he was clearly a committed Christian, and remarked that she and other people on her team were atheists. She said they could never work with a committed Christian, and apologized for wasting Haxby’s time.
Haxby was astonished, and said that his religion should not stop him being considered for the job. According to Haxby, she then said other candidates had more experience and he was not offered the job.
Religious discrimination is unlawful, and the law covers the way job interviews are conducted, not just the outcome. Haxby’s claim for religious discrimination is being supported by The Christian Institute, a national charity that defends the civil liberties of Christians.
Spokesman Mike Judge said: “Jamie’s case is shocking, and shows that discrimination against Christians is getting more brazen. There’s no place for this anti-Christian intolerance at the hands of aggressive atheists. It’s high time the Government took the issue more seriously.”
Prested Hall country house hotel denies religious discrimination, saying the job was given to a more experienced candidate.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details