Family Research Council Senior Fellow Peter Sprigg testified Tuesday before the Maryland Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee regarding Senate Bill 449, a proposed gender identity bill that would add "gender identity" to the characteristics protected in Maryland's laws regarding discrimination in public accommodations, housing, and employment.
In his testimony, Sprigg said:
"I have compassion for those who suffer from gender identity problems. I do not underestimate the pain that people experience when they want to be, or believe that they are, something different from their biological sex. However, the solution offered, or implied, in the bill simply will not be effective in easing that pain.
"A person who believes they are, or wishes to be, the opposite sex from that which is written in the chromosomes of every cell of his or her body, is suffering from a disconnection with an immutable biological reality.
"The solution to this problem is not actions—up to and including self-mutilating surgery amputating healthy body parts—which will reinforce this disconnect with reality. The solution is compassionate counseling aimed at helping the individual to uncover the psychological roots of their gender identity problems, and to become comfortable with one's actual biological sex.
"I understand the motivation behind this bill—the sponsors are concerned about the pain in the lives of these individuals, and hope that this intervention will ease that pain.
"While I share that motivation, I must oppose this bill because it will not work. This bill would force the state and private actors—employers, landlords and others who provide public services—to officially and legally affirm the very delusion that puts these suffering individuals at odds with reality. Not only will it not make their lives better, but it will prevent them from getting the very help they do need to make their lives better."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details