Morality in Media is calling for a nationwide protest of Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Network citing the reckless glorification of sexual violence and torture depicted on the network.
The season premiere of Lisa Ling’s Our America on OWN, Tuesday, portrayed the graphic depiction of “BDSM” sex (bondage, discipline, dominance, submission, sadism, and masochism) in an hour-long television show, replete with whips, chains, handcuffs and assorted tools of sexual torture.
“Women want to be loved, adored and cherished, not whipped, dominated and humiliated,” says Dawn Hawkins, executive director of Morality in Media. “Oprah and her OWN cable network seem desperate to bootstrap their flagging ratings to the tawdry and titillating world of sadomasochism portrayed in the bestseller, 50 Shades of Grey. This is purely trash TV and worse, it is entertainment likely to foster domestic abuse, primarily of women. I would have thought Oprah should lead the charge against such exploitation.”
At one time the promise of the OWN network was to empower women to live their best life, with inspiring stories of hope, courage and self-esteem. Lisa Ling’s Our America was not even in that ballpark.
“A responsible journalist would have at least mentioned that sadomasochism has long been recognized as a mental disorder in the American Psychological Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Sexual abuse of this nature is at the heart of the criminal acts of rape and sexual assault," Hawkins says.
“So much of the pornography today is filled with sexual violence and humiliation of women, so it is not surprising that BDSM activities would find an audience. However, Morality in Media believes all women, children and men have a natural human dignity, and that programming of this sort is inherently dehumanizing, corrupts healthy relationships, and grossly distorts a proper view of human sexuality,” says Hawkins.
Morality in Media is asking the public to contact OWN to protest this glorification of sexual abuse and torture and return to the kind of uplifting programs that we expect from Oprah. Contact OWN through Morality In Media’s website by clicking here.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details