In what Christian observers are calling a victory for free speech, the Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision that the atheist Freedom from Religion Foundation did not have a legal standing to challenge the use of taxpayer money to advertise and promote President George W. Bush's endorsement of faith-based initiatives.
Monday’s decision solidified Bush’s faith-based initiatives, which helps religious organizations get federal funds for community projects.
“This ruling is a win for the thousands of community and faith-based nonprofits all across the country that have partnered with government at all levels to serve their neighbors,” Bush said in a written statement. “Most importantly, it is a win for the many whose lives have been lifted by the caring touch and compassionate hearts of these organizations.”
Jay Sekulow, chief counsel for the American Center for Law and Justice, said the decision sends "a powerful message that atheists and others antagonistic to religion do not get an automatic free pass to bring Establishment Clause lawsuits."
The ruling may be a sign that the high court will be "less concerned about keeping church and state separate, so later decisions will be more sympathetic to government's cooperating with religious institutions," Tom Goldstein, a Harvard Law School lecturer on Supreme Court litigation, told the Boston Globe.
The decision was one of three rulings conservative Christian lobbyists applauded yesterday. The court also ruled that the Wisconsin Right to Life should not have been barred from running pre-election advertising ads that mention a federal candidate and that school officials can restrict drug-related speech at school functions, but did not extend that authority to other types of controversial speech, including religious expression.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details