The Barna Research Group released the results of a nationwide survey last week indicating 40 percent of Christian parents (with children under 18) admitted that they were not being spiritually challenged.
George Barna, co-founder of The Barna Group, said the study’s findings are reflective of the rapidly declining spiritual condition found in American culture.
“Many of the same people who claim that their faith is very important to them and that they are absolutely committed to Christianity also say that they face no spiritual challenges in life,” he said. “Americans focus on what they consider to be the most important matters; faith maturity is not one of them.”
Of the Christian parents who said they do feel challenged on their spiritual journeys, the majority said the two main struggles were developing their children spiritually and personally investing more time in praying and reading their Bible.
Other spiritual struggles included the need for more church involvement, exhibiting faith-driven behaviors, coping with sickness, having a deeper faith and dealing with the decline of moral values in the media. Barna encourages church leaders to address these issues by having intimate relationships with church members.
“Ministry is most effective when it addresses the specific needs of each person on a one-to-one or few-to-one basis,” Barna said. “The data underscore the importance of people knowing and ministering to each other in a very direct and personal way, recognizing the uniqueness of every person and their journey.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details