A California city has declared this week No Cussing Week. Standing in sharp contrast with Los Angeles, its neighbor eight miles away that has battled irreverent gangs for decades, South Pasadena, Calif., officials hope to promote more civility throughout the city, the Associated Press (AP) reports.
South Pasadena Mayor Michael Cacciotti and the city council declared yesterday that No Cussing Week would continue through Friday.
“It's part of exercising self-discipline,” Cacciotti told the Pasadena Star-News. “It's about treating each other with love and respect. Profane language causes pain, anger and could lead to violence.”
Though the city council has designated the first week of March as No Cussing Week, the idea did not originate with the council but with a 14-year-old high school student.Â
When McKay Hatch was in junior high he became despondent with the abundance of colorful words that many of his friends were using “to fit in.”
“I finally told my friends ‘I don't cuss.’ And I said, ‘If you want to hang out with me, you don't cuss,’” Hatch told the AP.
He admits that it took a few years for some of his classmates to rally behind him. But eventually 50 Pasadena High School students agreed with Hatch’s idea and last June held their inaugural No Cussing Club meeting.
Nine months later a website was launched, which now boasts numerous chapters and 10,000 members throughout the U.S. and the world.
“My mom and dad always taught me good morals, good values, and not cussing was one of them,” Hatch told the AP.
Hatch’s parents, Brent and Phelecia, are co-authors of the family handbook Raising a G-Rated Family in an X-Rated World.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details