As humanists and atheists continue launching anti-Christmas crusades worldwide Christians in the U.S. have decided to kick off campaigns challenging retailers and anyone else trying to remove Christ from the season.
Mathew Staver, founder of the Florida-based legal firm Liberty Counsel (LC), recently initiated "Friend or Foe," an annual campaign that offers free legal services to anyone persecuted for public displays of Christmas.
As part of this year's initiative, LC is also boycotting stores that advertise Christmas products but exclude the word Christmas from its promotions.
"If a government entity censors Christmas in violation of the Constitution, then we will first seek to educate but, if necessary, we will litigate," Staver said. "If retailers choose to profit from Christmas while pretending it does not exist, then we will patronize their competitors."
Focus on the Family started a similar campaign called "I Stand for Christmas" in which Christians are urged to sign a petition thanking retailers for not "purging Christmas" references from advertisements and chiding retailers who do.
Stuart Shepard, digital media director for Focus on the Family, says that a boycott by Christians during the holiday season could greatly affect retailers bottom-line.
"Whose more likely to go through your holiday catalogs to buy your Christmas decorations, your Christmas cards, and your Christmas gifts," Shepard asked on his weekly blog: "Merry Tossmas."
Shepard added: "Someone in the more than 90 percent of people who say they celebrate Christmas? Or someone who claims to be offended by the very word?"
In their new campaign dubbed "Project Merry Christmas," the American Family Association (AFA) is also encouraging people to fight against a trend that supplants the "Merry Christmas" greeting with "Happy Holidays."
The family-action group has sold out of their buttons that read: "IT'S OK TO SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS."
AFA chairman Donald Wildmon says that in the midst of the barrage of persecution against Christmas there lies a great opportunity for Christians to highlight the true meaning of the season.
"Christians can take a stand and proclaim to our communities that Christmas is not just a winter holiday focused on materialism, but a holy day when we celebrate the birth of our Savior," he said.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details