Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts administered the second oath at the White House on Wednesday to dispel confusion created by the first one, which was given out of sequence, and to erase questions about whether Obama was legally president. On Tuesday, Roberts was apparently working without a copy of the oath, CNN reported. (View Tuesday's swearing-in.)
Both oaths included the phrase "so help me God." But on Wednesday, Obama raised his right hand but used no Bible, according to CNN. (Hear the second swearing-in.)
After learning that the second oath was administered without a Bible, the Evangelical Alliance U.K., based in England, sent the U.S. president a copy of The Poverty and Justice Bible to ensure he has one on hand for any future need.
The Bible, published by the U.K.-based Bible Society, highlights more than 2,000 passages addressing the issues of poverty and justice.
"President Obama's commitment to the scripture was obvious during his inaugural address, when he quoted Paul's letter to the Corinthians—so when we heard he didn't swear on a Bible the second time, we could only assume it was because he couldn't find one," Krish Kandiah, director of Churches in Mission for the Evangelical Alliance, said in a statement.
"We are sending him a copy of the Bible in case he is ever biblically caught short again. We are delighted that President Obama takes justice and the alleviation of poverty very seriously, so we will send him a Bible that focuses on these issues that are so close to his, and God's, heart."
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has also been given a copy of The Poverty and Justice Bible.
In a statement, Peter Meadows, Bible Society associate executive director, said the Bible is more than a symbol or a good idea. "The Bible is a reminder that true hope and real change has its root in Scripture," he said.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details