A lawsuit filed last week against officials of the Los Angeles Community College District claims a professor censored and threatened to expel a student at Los Angeles City College following the student's speech about marriage and his Christian faith during a public speaking class assignment.
"Christian students shouldn't be penalized or discriminated against for speaking about their beliefs," said Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) senior counsel David French. "Public institutions of higher learning cannot selectively censor Christian speech. This student was speaking well within the confines of his professor's assignment when he was censored and ultimately threatened with expulsion."
According to the ADF, college professor John Matteson interrupted and ended Jonathan Lopez's class speech on Nov. 24, calling him a "fascist b -- rd" in front of the class for a speech about gay marriage, which included reading the dictionary definition of marriage and reciting two Bible verses. Matteson apparently told other students they could leave if they were offended by Lopez's speech, but no one reportedly left.
The alleged incident came days after California voters passed Proposition 8, a measure on the election ballot last November defining marriage as between a man and a woman.
After Proposition 8 passed on Nov. 4, gay rights activists protested throughout California and launched a legal fight to overthrow the ban on gay marriage. At the time, according to the ADF, Matteson told his entire class, "If you voted yes on Proposition 8, you are a fascist b -- ard."
Matteson also allegedly threatened Lopez one week later, telling him he was committed to getting him expelled from the school.
"Professor Matteson clearly violated Mr. Lopez's free speech rights by engaging in viewpoint discrimination and retaliation because he disagreed with the student's religious beliefs," French said. "When students are given open-ended assignments in a public speaking class, the First Amendment protects their ability to express their views. Moreover, the district has a speech code that has created a culture of censorship on campus.
"America's public universities and colleges are supposed to be a 'marketplace of ideas,' not a hotbed of intolerance."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details