It's been one year since Obamacare was signed into law. But the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, as it is officially called, is still largely unpopular.
In December 2010, U.S. District Court Judge Henry Hudson in Richmond ruled in favor of Virginia concluding the individual mandate provision "exceeds the constitutional boundaries of congressional power." A Florida Supreme Court judge ruled Obamacare unconstitutional in January.
Now, the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) is making a bold move to declare the entire health care law unconstitutional.
Representing 49 members of Congress, the ACLJ filed court documents on Monday. House Speaker John Boehner and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor joined the ACLJ in the amicus brief filed in support of Virginia's lawsuit challenging the Obamacare, which is now on appeal.
"As the legal challenges to Obamacare move forward, there's one central argument that we're confident will win the day—that the mandate forcing individuals to purchase health care insurance is unconstitutional," says Jay Sekulow, Chief Counsel of the ACLJ.
"In the Virginia case, the federal district court got it right. Forcing someone to buy health insurance is not economic activity and Congress does not have that authority under the Commerce Clause. We believe the federal district court should have gone one step further in declaring entire health care law—not just the individual mandate—unconstitutional. That's what we're asking the appeals court to do."
The ACLJ is also pursuing its own legal challenge of Obamacare and has been granted expedited review of its appeal by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit after a federal district court dismissed its lawsuit.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer