In spite of its sometimes archaic language and the variety and availability of more modern translations, according to a recent study by LifeWay Research, the King James Version of the Bible remains the most beloved translation. The poll of 1,004 American 18 and older was conducted to mark the 400th anniversary of the King James Version, published in 1611 under the direction of England's King James I.
More than half of all American adults (62 percent) own a KJV Bible, and those who read the Bible regularly are more likely to read the KJV. Eighty-two percent of Americans who read the Bible at least once a month own a KJV, and 67 percent of American adults who own a Bible have a KJV.
Since its publication in 1611, the KJV has influenced the language of the English-speaking world, the study noted, generating now-common phrases such as "fight the good fight," "reap the whirlwind" and "feet of clay."
Age has a bearing on the use of the KJV: While 76 percent of Americans 55 years and older who own a Bible have a KJV, only 67 percent of those ages 35 to 54 own a copy. For those under 35 years old, the percentage owning a copy drops to 56 percent.
Although the KJV is sometimes considered to be difficult to read, LifeWay's research suggested that even younger readers appreciate its poetic language. Only 21 percent of those under 35 say they find the language "hard to understand," compared with 31 percent ages 35 to 54 who say the same and 28 percent 55 and older.
While newer versions use updated and readable language and often drawn on more reliable Greek and Hebrew manuscripts for translation, most would admit that an element of continuity and familiarity is lost in not having a common translation that is used by everyone—from pastors preaching in the pulpits to children memorizing passages in Christian education programs.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details