After vowing to his congregation to fight, Atlanta megachurch pastor Eddie Long has quietly settled the sexual misconduct lawsuits filed against him.
Four men—all former members of Long's church now in their early 20s—claim the pastor used gifts, trips and money to coerce them into engaging in sex acts with him beginning when they were 17 or 18. Because the men were over the age of consent in Georgia, which is 16, no criminal charges were filed.
"After a series of discussions, all parties involved have decided to resolve the civil cases out of court. This decision was made to bring closure to this matter and to allow us to move forward with the plans God has for this ministry," a statement from Long's church, New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, said.
"As is usually the case when civil lawsuits resolve out of court, we cannot discuss any details regarding the resolution or the resolution process, as they are confidential," the statement said. "This resolution is the most reasonable road for everyone."
The lawsuits claimed Long has "a pattern and practice of singling out a select group of young male church members and using his authority as Bishop over them to ultimately bring them to a point of engaging in a sexual relationship."
The plaintiffs—Maurice Robinson, Jamal Parris, Anthony Flagg and Spencer LeGrande—claimed Long took them on trips to various locations in the U.S. and abroad, shared a room with them and engaged in sexual acts. The men said Long gave them lavish gifts ranging from cars to college tuition in exchange and that they became paid employees of the church.
Long has steadfastly denied the claims. "I want you to know, I am not a perfect man, but this thing I'm gonna fight," Long told his 25,000-member congregation in September on the first Sunday after the claims went public. "I feel like David against Goliath, but I have five rocks and I haven't thrown one yet."
No settlement terms were disclosed.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details