Isaac Hunter is the latest pastor to step down from the pulpit over a moral failure. Hunter, the lead pastor at Summit Church in Orlando, Fla., resigned after admitting to having an affair with a former church staffer.
One of the fastest-growing churches in central Florida, Summit Church announced a “moral failing” that made it “impossible for him to continue in ministry.”
Hunter, 35, is the son of Joel Hunter, a spiritual advisor to President Obama. The younger Hunter is a husband and father of three.
“If you are wondering what to do, please pray for the Hunter family during this time, help to protect the space around them, and avoid gossip as much as humanly possible,” wrote John Parker, who is now serving as lead pastor of the church.
"On a personal note," Parker added, "I am hurting—for my friend, for the pain he has caused others and himself, for our staff, for the church, and even for myself. In midst of the hurt, I am so grateful for this community. God has done so much good in this place, and my great hope is that He will continue to have Summit Church be a place where lost and hurting people find hope and love."
Some Summit Church members did not think Hunter needed to resign.
The Orlando Sentinel reported Angela Griner, an adult daughter of an evangelical minister, as saying she hoped her generation could accept a talented leader who was nonetheless flawed. "We should stop denying our inability to be superhuman and simply be thankful for the gifts we can give one another in spite of our limitations."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details