The Pentagon is set to salute gay and lesbian troops by marking June as Gay Pride Month.
The move comes nine months after the Obama administration's repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that banned gay troops from openly serving in the military.
"We are a nation that welcomes the service of every patriot ... a nation that believes that all men and women are created equal," President Obama said after the repeal.
Defense Department officials are planning the first-ever event to recognize gay troops.
They declined to give details about the event but said Defense Secretary Leon Panetta feels it's important to recognize the service of gays in the armed forces.
The move comes as legislation is being proposed in Congress to protect military chaplains who don't support gay marriage.
"The chaplains are an integral part of our defense and have been for a long time," Rep. Todd Akin, R-Mo., who sponsored the legislation, said. "And honoring the beliefs and the convictions of those people is only reasonable."
"We need to allow people to have those kinds of beliefs without being worried that they're going to get demoted or run over because they believe in something," he said
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details