A tragic diving accident at age 17 took Joni Eareckson Tada’s life on an unexpected detour. Even though the accident left her wheelchair-bound and without the use of her hands, Tada became a sought-after Christian artist and advocate for the disabled community.
Next week, Tada’s work will be recognized by the Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview with the 2012 William Wilberforce Award, honoring Tada for her work on behalf of the disabled and her stands against social injustice.
“A fearless champion for the rights of the disabled, Joni models the passion and principles of William Wilberforce and the love of Christ to everyone in our world, disabled or not,” says Colson Center president Alan Terwilleger. “Her tireless work on behalf of life and human dignity has inspired thousands to break the spiral of silence against discrimination and value the lives of those whom many in society view as unworthy of respect.”
Since 1979, Tada’s Joni and Friends ministry has provided assistance to thousands through its international disability awareness campaigns, retreats for families with disabled loved ones, wheelchair gifting program, disabled relations training for churches, public policy initiatives and sharing of the gospel worldwide. Many thousands more receive encouragement and biblical worldview insights through Joni’s daily radio program, heard on stations across the U.S.
“The Colson Center helps Christians develop an informed worldview that sees, understands and engages the world from a biblical perspective,” adds Terwilleger. “By recognizing Tada for her campaigns to raise disability awareness, public policy advocacy and efforts to spread the gospel across the globe, we hope to shine a light on her esteemed work that promotes the sanctity of all lives.”
Named for famed British abolitionist William Wilberforce, the Colson Center’s Wilberforce Award is given annually to a Christian trailblazer who has combated the social ills of the day through extraordinary personal effort, skill and influence, affecting positive change in the values and character of society.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details