Despite some churches falling into bankruptcy, God is still in the miracle business. The Rock Church International in Virginia Beach, Va., is the latest proof. The Rock Church just saw the last $5.37 million of its $14 million debt paid in full—in just three months.
John and Anne Gimenez founded the Rock Church in 1968 and dedicated its first sanctuary debt-free in 1971. The church grew up during the charismatic movement was home to the Washington for Jesus rallies in the 1980s and ‘90s.
“My husband was a visionary. We never had a mortgage in the early days and we absorbed a lot of the expenses of Washington for Jesus,” Gimenez says. “I feel in my heart that getting this debt paid off so fast is a direct correlation to our willingness to spearhead those meetings.”
The Gimenezes weren’t accustomed to operating with debt. But after nearly 30 years of debt-free operations, The Rock Church encumbered a $14 million mortgage build a new 5,200-seat sanctuary for its fast-growth congregation. The new building opened in 1997 with initial payments of $100,000 a month.
In December, God set in motion a series of events that would bring a sort of jubilee to The Rock Church. First, the city of Virginia Beach made good on an offer to buy 800 acres of land the church owned to build a park. The price: $5 million.
That left a balance of just $387,000. Church members gave $87,000 one December Sunday morning. Over the following Sundays, members continued to give all the way down to $43,000. And then it happened …
“Billy Wilson was on the platform with us. He had just come from Converge21 and was about to preach. During the morning offering, we got the debt down to $18,000 and he told me he’d give the last $5,000,” Gimenez says. “A parishioner walked over and gave a $5,000 offering on his credit card and that took us over the top. Before Billy preached we were debt-free.”
Gimenez calls it a miracle—and an answer to prayer. She recalls walking around the sanctuary praying that God would let her see the building paid off in her lifetime. It almost didn’t happen. In January 2010, Gimenez suddenly fell deathly ill after a six-week battle with a blood platelet disorder. After taking a ministry retreat with her daughter, Robin, her heart, lungs and kidneys failed. She was on life support for 18 days. Doctors said she would die. But she miraculously recovered and returned to the pulpit just a few months later.
“I asked God to let me see this building paid off in my lifetime,” says the 79-year-old Gimenez, whose husband passed away four years ago. “He didn’t let me down. It’s an amazing miracle that we could pay off a $5.5 million debt in these economic times.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details