All Ryan Arneson wanted to do was peacefully share his faith on campus. He hoped to hand out literature and speak with willing passers-by—just like he had been doing for the previous two years without incident.
But when he sought permission from an official at South Mountain Community College to continue his gospel efforts, he was told to abide by the school’s solicitation policy, even though he is only an individual that wanted to engage in individual expression.
The policy requires private individuals and groups alike to pay a minimum $50 fee, pay for insurance, and submit a request form and proof of insurance 14 days prior to visiting campus. Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) attorneys took the matter to court.
ADF attorneys asked a federal court on Tuesday to immediately halt a Maricopa, Community College policy that puts unconstitutional burdens on visitors that want to exercise their First Amendment right on Arizona campuses. The motion as filed as part of a Dec. 29 lawsuit. Attorneys argue that charging fees, requiring an insurance payment and demanding a two-week advance notice is unconstitutional.
“Free speech is protected by the First Amendment, which means it can’t come with a price tag and a burdensome waiting period,” says Jonathan Scruggs, ADF litigation staff counsel. “The courts have routinely ruled policies like this one unconstitutional. Christians visiting public college campuses shouldn’t be deterred from expressing their beliefs because of cumbersome, unconstitutional policies.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details