The year 2011 saw plenty of anti-Christian rhetoric in the media—and plenty of anti-Christian acts against every day Joes and Janes standing up for what they believe.
DefendChristians.Org, a ministry of the Christian Anti-Defamation Commission, asked its members to vote on the top 10 anti-Christian acts of 2011 in the U.S.
"I am always surprised at the results of our poll and this year is no exception," says Dr. Gary Cass of DefendChristians.Org. "The fact the No. 1 and No. 2 issues are public policy and political in nature shows Christians are very concerned about the political direction of the country. I wouldn't be surprised if this translates into a strong political response in 2012."
Here are the results of the voting:
10. NBC television network twice took the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance in its lead up to the U.S. Open at Congressional Country Club.
9. In Franklin, Mass., a pro-life man was beaten by the police for peacefully handing out pro-life materials. The police accused him of conspiring to plant bombs.
8. A Christian man in Minnesota was fired from his job because one of his female co-workers attended a Bible study that his wife led.
7. A Christian Florida teacher was suspended after school administrators discovered his support of traditional marriage posted on the Internet.
6. In Kalispell, Mon., pro-lifers were attacked by a firebomb during a prayer vigil in front of an abortion clinic. No one was hurt, but a police officer remarked pro-lifers should expect this sort of reaction to their activities.
5. Because of a complaint filed by the ACLU, the liberal 9th Circuit Court ruled that the Mt. Soledad War Memorial in San Diego was unconstitutional.
4. A homosexual activist effort caused investigations by the online money transfer company, PayPal, against pro-family Christian organizations.
3. A Bible study was shut down by San Juan Capistrano, Calif., officials who claimed the group needed a permit because it posed a risk to public safety and health.
2. President Obama declared June "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month" and hosted a White House celebration by homosexuals.
1. California Gov. Jerry Brown signs a bill forcing public school curriculum and textbooks to "celebrate" homosexuals, transgenders and bisexuals.
What’s your take on the top anti-Christian acts of 2011?
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Join us on our podcast each weekday for an interesting story, well told, from Charisma News. Listen at charismapodcastnetwork.com.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.