When was the last time you saw someone in Los Angeles approach three perfect strangers, hug them and say “I love you”? It may be a first and it happened at Dodger Stadium on Saturday night, where Harvest Crusades with evangelist Greg Laurie did something else that has never happened in L.A.—drew 50,000 people to the iconic stadium to hear a message of God’s love.
Coinciding with the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the Harvest Crusade at Dodger Stadium—called the Los Angeles Harvest—came at a time when people across America are still asking, “Why, God?” Harvest Crusades founder Greg Laurie answered the question head on, addressing not only the horrific terrorist attacks, but also his own personal tragedy in the loss of his son three years ago in a car accident.
“I don’t know why bad things happen,” Laurie told the multitude gathered at Dodger Stadium. “But here’s what I do know. I know that God loves me. And I know that I will see my son in heaven because he put his faith in Christ and I put my faith in Christ. We will see one another again,” proclaimed Laurie as the crowd erupted in cheers.
Hosted by more than 340 area churches, and featuring evangelist Laurie, special guest WWII POW Louis Zamperini and top Christian musicians Chris Tomlin, Kirk Franklin, Jeremy Camp and the Katinas, the outreach brought much-needed encouragement to the City of Angels.
A highlight of the Los Angeles Harvest included a 9/11 virtual candlelight memorial in which thousands of attendees downloaded a candlelight app to their mobile devices and held them up as the crowd stood and sang “God Bless America.” However, the most moving moment came when Laurie invited people to come forward and put their faith in Christ. Thousands flooded the Dodger Stadium outfield—so many, in fact, that the fire marshal had to step in to stop the flow onto the field, a first for Harvest Crusades. Those who didn’t make it to the outfield were met in their seats by counselors, who distributed some 7,700 Bibles.
By the end of the evening, some 5,934 people put their faith in Christ—the largest number ever to come forward at a Harvest Crusade event. In addition, 119 people made the same decision via an online broadcast of the Harvest Crusade.
“Tonight, I accepted Jesus into my heart,” said 7-year-old Natalie Amezcua, one of the nearly 6,000 people who responded to the altar call issue by Laurie. “It is not only a day of healing from the 9/11 attacks, but a day that marks a new beginning for our daughter,” said Natalie’s tearful mom, Janette Corbera.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details