Many conservative Christians were shocked and saddened Tuesday night when U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) announced he was suspending his campaign.
In his concession speech, Cruz said he was dropping out because he no longer saw a viable path, leaving many to wonder what had changed in just seven days' time. The answer, quite simply, was that after taking all 57 Indiana delegates Tuesday, the delegate math was completely on now-presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump's side.
By winning the Hoosier State in such convincing fashion, Trump's delegate total hovered somewhere between 1,050 and 1,065—depending on which count you used—although most reliable counts have him at about 1,057. That puts him at just 180 delegates away from 1,237 with 445 delegates left to be awarded.
He was already guaranteed at least some delegates from West Virginia, which has direct-election of delegates, as well as Oregon, Washington and New Mexico, which allocate delegates proportionally. Estimates from those states varied greatly, but 75 delegates is a round, conservative estimate, which would leave him just 105 away from securing the nomination on the first ballot.
Trump was also very likely to win New Jersey, a winner-take-all state, which has another 51 delegates. Even if he won no other delegates leading up to California next month, he would have likely needed just 54 of the Golden State's 172 delegates to lock up the nomination. His lead in the polls there was more than 26 points—and growing—on Tuesday.
The other factor to consider was the Cruz was, more or less, working alone to prevent Trump from accumulating delegates. Ohio Gov. John Kasich has only won his home state, and despite picking up a few delegates in eastern states, he was still officially in fourth place in the total GOP delegate count.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details