Presidential candidate U.S. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) announced Thursday a high-profile national security coalition that will advise him on foreign policy issues.
The group of nearly two dozen national security and foreign policy experts includes such leaders as former U.S. Sen. Jim Talent (R-Mo.), former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy and former Asst. Secretary of State Elliott Abrams. Victoria Coates, who serves as Cruz's senior adviser for foreign policy, said the Texas senator has rejected the failed policies of the past and "gotten back to a truly principled, Reagan-esque approach" to America's position in the world.
The Cruz National Security Dream Team includes:
- Elliott Abrams was an assistant secretary of state in the Reagan administration and a deputy national security adviser in the George W. Bush administration; he is a senior fellow for Middle Eastern Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Stewart Baker served as assistant secretary for policy at DHS, as general counsel of the National Security Agency, and as general counsel of the bipartisan commission that investigated intelligence failures involving weapons of mass destruction and Iraq.
- Ilan Berman is vice president of the American Foreign Policy Council, and an expert on Iran, Russia and radical Islam.
- Lt. General William G. "Jerry" Boykin is a retired U.S. Army Delta Force and Green Beret commander and the executive vice president of the Family Research Council.
- Fred Fleitz is senior vice president of the Center for Security Policy and a former Central Intelligence Agency analyst.
- Randy Fort has served in the Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush administrations in senior positions in the intelligence community, and is currently an executive with the Raytheon Company.
- Frank J. Gaffney Jr. is the president and CEO of the Center for Security Policy. He acted as the assistant secretary of defense for International Security Policy under President Reagan.
- Nile Gardiner is a former aide to British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
- Mike Gonzalez is a senior fellow at The Heritage Foundation, a former speechwriter for the Bush administration and editorial writer for The Wall Street Journal.
- Katharine C. Gorka is the president of the Council on Global Security.
- Steven Groves is a senior research fellow at The Heritage Foundation where he concentrates on the protection of American sovereignty, treaties and international law.
- Mary Habeck is a visiting scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, where she studies al-Qaida, ISIS and jihadi-salafism, and an adjunct professor at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS).
- Kristofer L. Harrison is a co-founder of the China Beige Book and was an official in both the Departments of Defense and State in the George W. Bush administration.
- Jerry Hendrix, a retired Navy captain, is the principal director of the Stoneridge Group, a national security consultancy.
- Michael Ledeen is freedom scholar at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, holds a Ph.D. in Modern European History, and is the author of more than 35 books, including the forthcoming The Field of Fight.
- Clare M. Lopez is vice president for research and analysis at the Center for Security Policy.
- Andy McCarthy is former chief assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, led the prosecution of the "Blind Sheikh" and 11 other jihadis for waging a terrorist war against the United States that included the 1993 World Trade Center bombing
- Robert C. O'Brien is a partner at Larson O'Brien LLP; he was a senior foreign policy adviser to Gov. Scott Walker and Gov. Mitt Romney, and was a U.S. representative to the U.N. General Assembly.
- Michael Pillsbury was a Reagan campaign adviser in 1980, served as assistant undersecretary of defense for policy planning under President Reagan, and is the author of three books on China.
- Charles "Cully" Stimson is the senior legal fellow and manager of National Security Law Program at The Heritage Foundation; he is a former deputy assistant secretary of Defense for Detainee Affairs.
- Jim Talent was a U.S. senator from Missouri and served on the House and Senate Armed Services Committees for 12 years; he is currently a senior fellow specializing in military preparedness at the American Enterprise Institute.
- Daniel P. Vajdich is a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council and was Gov. Scott Walker's deputy foreign policy director and lead staffer for Europe and Eurasia on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
- Christian Whiton was a State Department senior advisor and deputy special envoy during the George W. Bush administration; he is the author of Smart Power: Between Diplomacy and War, and is a principal at DC International Advisory.
"I am honored and humbled to have a range of respected voices willing to offer their best advice," Cruz said. "These are trusted friends who will form a core of our broader national security team. After two terms of a failed Obama-Clinton foreign policy, our allies are confused and frightened, and our enemies are looking for opportunities. This is the moment for all those who believe in a strong America that is secure at home and respected abroad to come together and craft a new path forward."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details