Jerry Behn is a pretty popular guy in Iowa Senate District 24, which he has been representing through various redistricting alignments for nearly 19 years. He's a former Senate Minority Leader and was briefly a gubernatorial candidate six years ago.
So in Boone County in the central part of the state, in which he served for two years on the County Board of Supervisors, his endorsement carries some weight. Monday, he threw his support behind U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) for the GOP presidential nomination.
"Ted Cruz is the proven and consistent conservative we need in order to turn this country around," Behn said during a "Cruzin' to Caucus" campaign event at King's Christian Book Store in Boone, Iowa. "Americans are looking for a leader that will stand for conservative principles, fight the Washington Cartel and restore the power back to the people. Ted Cruz is that leader."
The announcement might come as a surprise to some in the heart of the first-in-the-nation caucus state. Just four months ago, Behn took the stage at a Donald Trump rally at the town's annual Pufferbilly Days rally that drew an overflow crowd.
But in an object lesson about semantics—an "endorsement" isn't an official endorsement until the words "I endorse" are used—Behn never officially indicated he was supporting Trump's campaign. At the Trump event, he wore a "Behn for Iowa Senate" T-shirt, which he had worn during the parade that preceded the rally.
Regardless, Cruz was appreciative of the endorsement:
"Jerry is dedicated to God and country, family and farming. He stands for the principles that we all share, principles that this country was founded on. With Jerry's leadership, it will help unite courageous conservatives across Iowa to reignite the promise of America. I am thrilled to have his support."
Behn's endorsement could have a positive impact for Cruz elsewhere in Iowa. Although he has fairly solid Christian conservative credentials, he also has strong ties with the party's establishment and its political allies.
He is a long-time member of the Iowa Soybean Association, Iowa Farm Bureau and the Iowa Association of Business and Industry. As the former Senate Republican leader, he has a number of GOP establishment connections across the state.
When Behn ran for governor six years ago, he bowed out when Gov. Terry Branstad announced he would come out of retirement to seek re-election so as to not damage those relationships.
Monday was the first day of a six-day tour of Iowa in which Cruz will visit 28 of Iowa's 99 counties. Most of the counties in which he plans to stop are counties he has not yet visited.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details