When it quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck, it's probably a duck—unless it's a goose—but in politics, it's even more complicated.
U.S. Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), a very popular figure among a wide swath of Republican voters, is set to appear on the presidential campaign trail with his "good friend" U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.). The two are set to begin a weather-shortened two-day swing through Iowa Tuesday.
But, he hasn't "officially" endorsed his fellow member of Congress in the GOP presidential race.
"Marco is a rock solid conservative and a strong leader we can trust," Gowdy said in a statement issued by the Rubio campaign over the weekend. "I look forward to campaigning in Iowa with him, and introducing my good friend to voters across the state."
It sounds like an endorsement, but in the world of politics, it isn't really an endorsement until you actually use the words "endorse" and "president" in the same sentence. Gowdy's office has been quiet about the matter.
Some have suggested the appearances in Iowa may do more harm to Gowdy's reputation with Tea Party and grassroots conservatives than it will help Rubio's chances of winning the first-in-the-nation Iowa Republican Caucus—or the South Carolina Primary that follows a few days later. But, Gowdy is also widely popular among establishment Republicans, a group Rubio must make inroads with if he hopes to compete with the anti-establishment front-runners, Sen. Ted Cruz and businessman Donald Trump.
The "establishment lane" consists of a number of candidates polling in the single digits, including former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, both of whom are polling much better in New Hampshire than in Iowa. An establishment-led top-three showing in Iowa could help Rubio much more in the other early voting states.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details