Wednesday morning, Republican presidential candidate U.S. Sen. Rand Paul decided to have fun with his supporters—occasionally at his competition's expense—on Twitter by "celebrating" Festivus.
The faux holiday parody, written into an episode of the television comedy Seinfeld nearly 20 years ago, has been picked up by a number of fans of the show who want to make fun of the rampant consumerism and commercialization of Christmas. Among the Festivus "traditions" is the "Airing of Grievances."
This part of the "celebration" is supposed to take place immediately after the Festivus dinner has been served. It consists of each person lashing out at others and the world about how they have been disappointed in the past year.
In the 1997 TV episode titled "The Strike," the character Frank Costanza (Jerry Stiller) began the Airing of Grievances by saying, "I got a lotta problems with you people, and you're going to hear about it!" In keeping with the theme, Paul let loose with quite a few grievances to his followers on Twitter.
He first unloaded a 38-page list of spending grievances to his U.S. Senate website. Then he took to social media to unleash his grievances against the rest of the GOP presidential field, which included a few zingers, such as:
• "My friend @tedcruz has still not pledged to issue exec order declaring Canadian 'bacon' is not real bacon. Makes me suspicious. #Festivus"
• "I have no grievances against my fellow doc @RealBenCarson because I have not heard a word he has said in any debate. #Festivus"
• "@JebBush is always trying to change the debate rules to allow extra time for awkward pauses in answers. Not gonna happen. #Festivus"
Of course, it wouldn't be a proper campaign stunt if there wasn't a push for campaign contrbutions involved. But there wasn't any mention of the final Festivus tradition: "Feats of Strength."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details