David Byler, an elections analyst for Real Clear Politics, wrote Monday morning that the Republican Party's rules won't result in a convention disaster.
That's because Rule 40(b)—otherwise referred to simply as "Rule 40"—is a temporary rule that can be arbitrarily changed by the party leading up to the Republican National Convention (RNC) next summer in Cleveland. Currently, Rule 40 requires a candidate have a majority of the delegates from at least eight states to be eligible for the presidential nomination.
"I won't get into all of the specifics on how and why the rule was adopted, but its current form came about in 2012 when the Republican National Committee was trying to limit the visibility and power of libertarian-minded Texas Rep. Ron Paul at the convention and thus present a unified front behind Mitt Romney, the presumptive nominee," he wrote.
With a crowded and well-funded field, he added, it's easy to envision a scenario where no candidate meets the requirement, leading to a nasty battle at the convention. But, Byler said it's more likely the RNC would change the rule before the convention—the same way and for the same reason it did so in 2012.
"For instance, suppose that Florida Sen. Marco Rubio secures enough delegates to win the nomination (1,237) as well as a majority in 20 different states, while Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is second in the delegate count and holds a majority in 10 states," he wrote. "In that scenario, the RNC might make the threshold 15 states, thus disqualifying Cruz and avoiding a convention where a large number of Republicans vote against their nominee."
He also painted a different picture: where no candidate has the crossed the 1,237 threshold heading into the convention but each of the leading candidates, and does not have a majority of the delegates in enough states.
"Realizing that a floor fight is inevitable, the RNC could decide that the best thing to do is reduce the state minimum to seven, thus managing the fight in a way that gives each of the leading factions a voice and decreases the risk of anyone bolting the party," he wrote.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details