Dr. Jerry A. Johnson, president and CEO of National Religious Broadcasters, issued the following statement in response to the U.S. Supreme Court ordering Washington's highest court to re-consider the case of floral artist Barronelle Stutzman.
"The justices were right to vacate Washington State's Supreme Court ruling sanctioning discrimination against people of faith," he said.
Last year, the Washington Supreme Court ruled against Barronelle Stutzman, owner of Arlene's Flowers. She had come under fire from the American Civil Liberties Union and the Washington Attorney General for politely declining to use her artistic skills for a same-sex ceremony. The state's highest court upheld a decision that Stutzman must pay severe penalties even though she referred her longtime customer, a friend, to other florists who would not have a conflict of conscience.
"This is not the end of this battle, but it is a positive step," said Johnson. "The lower courts must now grapple with the Masterpiece Cakeshop mandate that the state expunge from its actions any bias against religious beliefs its officials may personally wish to crush. Just like Jack Phillips, Barronelle Stutzman is an upstanding citizen whose beliefs deserve respect."
In 2016, Stutzman appeared on a panel with her attorney, Kristen Waggoner of Alliance Defending Freedom, at Proclaim 16, NRB's International Christian Media Convention, to discuss her case along with several other important cases in which religious liberty is being threatened. Stutzman explained that because of her actions in this matter, she was sued personally.
She told those in attendance to stand up for their faith. "It's me today," she said, "but it'll be you tomorrow."
Johnson urged NRB members and others to "pray for a religious liberty-affirming outcome" when the Washington high court reconsiders Stutzman's case.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details