According to the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, opening a county board of commissioners meeting with an invocation or prayer is an unconstitutional violation of the First Amendment's "Establishment Clause."
In a 10-5 decision Friday, the panel determined the Rowan County, North Carolina commissioners—clients of the First Liberty Institute—are prohibited from opening their meetings with prayers they say on their own. Of course, that would be news to the Supreme Court, which determined three years ago that legislative meetings may open with a prayer given by local religious leaders, even if all the prayer givers are of the same faith.
"While we are disappointed in the Fourth Circuit's decision to ban invocations before legislative meetings contrary to Supreme Court precedent, we are encouraged that the split in the vote on the Fourth Circuit demonstrates the need for Supreme Court review on this issue," First Liberty's Deputy General Counsel Mike Berry said after the decision was released.
First Liberty also represents Jackson County, Michigan, in a similar matter that will be heard before the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals. If that court upholds the constitutionality of prayers led by elected representatives prior to meetings, it would make it more likely to have the subject brought before the Supreme Court for review.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details