According to a three-judge panel of the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, if a jurisdiction decides to ban religious schools from locating within them, that's not a "substantial burden" on the free exercise of religion.
The panel released its decision Friday afternoon, telling Genoa Township, Michigan, it was allowed to forbid Livingston Christian School from locating within its jurisdiction. Attorneys for First Liberty Institute had argued on the school's behalf that the ban put a substantial burden on its right to exist as a Christian ministry, in violation of the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act.
In the opinion, written by Circuit Judge Ronald Lee Gilman, the panel determined that the township was allowed to reject the school at the proposed location because two other suitable locations nearby were readily available as alternative sites. You can read the entire opinion by clicking here.
"This precedent is very dangerous. It states that it is not a burden on religious exercise for a city to ban religious schools, churches, synagogues or mosques from moving into town. In fact, if a city wanted to ban a specific synagogue or mosque from moving into its city limits, the court held such a ban would not be a substantial burden on religious exercise. This is shocking and cannot be allowed to stand," First Liberty Deputy Chief Counsel Hiram Sasser said in response to the decision. "Towns who use their zoning laws to keep religious schools and organizations out of their backyard violate federal law and the First Amendment."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details