When President Barack Obama said Thursday, after meeting with his successor, President-Elect Donald Trump, that he had made a "smooth transition" from one administration to the next a top priority, it seems EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy didn't get the message.
Rather than slow down or halt the highly controversial Waters of the U.S. rule change, her agency just stomped on the accelerator. As a result, Thursday, a bicameral group of 88 members of Congress filed an amicus brief with the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, asking that the effort to broadly expand federal regulation of land and water by nullified.
The group, which includes 21 senators and 67 representatives, wrote in support of a lawsuite filed by 31 states and 57 municipalities over the "WOTUS" rule change. Among those signing on the brief was Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who said, if enacted, the new rules would place 97 percent of the land in his home state under federal jurisdiction.
That would, in turn, subject nearly ever square inch of the state to new federal regulations, such as permitting requirements.
"We all value clean water, and Congress has passed legislation to prevent pollution of our waterways," Grassley said. "But the EPA's plan would take that law far beyond what Congress even intended by regulating vast acres of dry land and usurping authority that Congress specifically left for the states.
"The result would be new federal permit costs and penalties for families, farmers, and businesses; for activities on dry land nowhere near an actual body of water. Thirty-one states have pressed the courts to stop this massive power grab and allow the states to implement the Clean Water Act as Congress intended. We are calling on the court to recognize the states' concerns, the widespread negative impact the rule would have, and the specific limitations of the law set by Congress."
Click here to read the entire amicus brief.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details