When President Barack Obama said Thursday, after meeting with his successor, President-Elect Donald Trump, that he had made a "smooth transition" from one administration to the next a top priority, it seems EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy didn't get the message.
Rather than slow down or halt the highly controversial Waters of the U.S. rule change, her agency just stomped on the accelerator. As a result, Thursday, a bicameral group of 88 members of Congress filed an amicus brief with the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, asking that the effort to broadly expand federal regulation of land and water by nullified.
The group, which includes 21 senators and 67 representatives, wrote in support of a lawsuite filed by 31 states and 57 municipalities over the "WOTUS" rule change. Among those signing on the brief was Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who said, if enacted, the new rules would place 97 percent of the land in his home state under federal jurisdiction.
That would, in turn, subject nearly ever square inch of the state to new federal regulations, such as permitting requirements.
"We all value clean water, and Congress has passed legislation to prevent pollution of our waterways," Grassley said. "But the EPA's plan would take that law far beyond what Congress even intended by regulating vast acres of dry land and usurping authority that Congress specifically left for the states.
"The result would be new federal permit costs and penalties for families, farmers, and businesses; for activities on dry land nowhere near an actual body of water. Thirty-one states have pressed the courts to stop this massive power grab and allow the states to implement the Clean Water Act as Congress intended. We are calling on the court to recognize the states' concerns, the widespread negative impact the rule would have, and the specific limitations of the law set by Congress."
Click here to read the entire amicus brief.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer