A half-victory is better than a defeat, right?
That's what suspended Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore is trying to determine after the other justices agreed to recuse themselves from an appeal hearing over his permanent suspension from serving on the court. That's because they added a twist that could still stack the deck against Moore.
The Alabama court voted 5-3 to recuse themselves and to have replacement Chief Justice Lynn Stuart work with Gov. Robert Bentley to pick eight replacement jurists—all of whom must be retired judges. The split wasn't over whether or not to recuse themselves, but rather over whether or not the replacement judges could only be retirees.
"Chief Justice Moore is merely asking for the same thing any citizen is entitled to receive—equal justice under the law," Liberty Counsel founder and Chairman Mat Staver said. "He wants his case to be heard by an objective and fair panel of judges who will adhere to the rule of law.
"The people of Alabama have increasingly called upon their judges to be accountable. At every turn, this case presents new twists and turns that have never occurred in the history of Alabama."
Staver said the requirement that replacement judges all be retired is unprecedented. However, he is now hopeful the case will proceed quickly to a "final and just" resolution.
"The Court of the Judiciary violated the law when it suspended Chief Justice Moore for life even though it lacked the 9-0 vote," he said. "Never before under the unanimity requirement of COJ Rule 16 has any judge ever been suspended for the rest of the term. A sexting judge gets six months and a judge who writes a four-page order that is not unethical or unlawful gets suspended for life. This is not right."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer