A write-in vote—whereby a voter selects a person for an office who is not named on the voting ballot—isn't recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court as a right, even if it is offered by the state one lives in.
In its 1992 decision in Burdick v. Takushi, the high court determined that the purpose of elections is to winnow out and reject all but the chosen candidates. With regard to a Hawaii law prohibiting write-in votes, the court determined that giving elections a "more generalized expressive function" may undermine the states' ability to operate elections efficiently.
So if you decide to write-in a candidate in November, how do you know if that vote is legal, and that it will be counted? Well, the Rutherford Institute has developed a voting guide that helps answer those two very important questions.
Its constitutional Q&A, "So You Think You Can Write-In Your Vote?" provides voters who want to write-in their vote with the steps they need to take before going to the polls, as well as what they can do if their state does not allow write-in candidates. You can find it by visiting rutherford.org.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer