The often complex intersection of faith and politics will continue to spark important discussions and debates regardless of who wins the 2020 U.S. presidential election. Pro-life advocate Abby Johnson is among those who have delivered pointed words on the matter.
Johnson, an outspoken Catholic and the host of the Politely Rude With Abby Johnson podcast, expressed dismay this week over some politicians' penchant for selectively using faith to strategically advance political support.
She delivered a particularly tough assessment of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden's faith positioning on the latest episode of Politely Rude, explaining why she believes he's "not a practicing Catholic" and is leading people astray when it comes to matters of faith and policy.
"It's such a contradiction for people to wave around their religion when it's convenient for them," Johnson said. "[Biden] is actually not a practicing Catholic ... by his public pronouncements against Catholic Church teaching he has, in a sense, excommunicated himself from the Catholic Church and is not a Catholic in good standing."
And she wasn't done there, adding her belief that the former vice president is "leading so many people astray." In the end, Johnson said she believes political posturing and misrepresenting biblical truth will have profound consequences for those partaking.
"I believe that leaders will be accountable for that when they stand in judgment," she said.
Extending outside of the political realm, Johnson also discussed the importance of understanding what "life with Christ" truly means, noting that too many people prioritize happiness above anything else—and that this position is deeply misguided.
"Life with Christ is not about happiness. Life with Christ is about holiness, and holiness does not always equal happiness," she said. "Holiness often equals sacrifice. Sacrifice does not often equal happiness. When I sacrifice, I'm often not happy."
In the end, Johnson said, it's all about having respect for God.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details