Two-hundred forty-two years ago, the 13 colonies of America declared their independence from the rule of Great Britain.
John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail that it was the "day of Deliverance,"' akin to the slaves of Egypt and their Exodus from the Pharaoh king.
Though independence had been resolved on July 2, it was not until July 4 that Adams and Thomas Jefferson co-signed the Declaration. It would follow that the two signatories would serve as future presidents of the United States of America.
In due course, the great nation that today is the United States of America blossomed to become the most powerful nation in the world.
Meanwhile, Amazon also celebrates its 24th birthday today. Amazon is now valued close to $1 trillion and typifies the "can-do spirit" of America.
The American dream has turned out to be a real-life dream for many who have pursued it, yet among the 325 million in the country, some are still chasing their dream in a nation which affords them to sleep safely and dream freely under the Stars and Stripes supported by their bulwark Constitution.
With independence comes responsibility and the office of the president must lead that charge.
Our children inevitably leave home, and though we are sad, we also celebrate that they and future generations carry forward the heritage and culture critical to man's forward path.
My only claim to the date July 4 is that it was the date of my long-gone parents' wedding anniversary.
I celebrate the fruit of that union today as we in Great Britain celebrate the fruit of our once union. Though life is lived forward, it is understood backward. Through heritage, we retain hope and through hope, we maintain the hunger to thrive.
God Bless America! Remember us, for we shall not forget you.
Martin Clarke is a London businessman and a member of Holy Trinity Brompton Anglican Church in London.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details