Bob Vander Plaats of Iowa is well known in conservative circles for his influence, primarily with the Iowa caucus. Last year, he endorsed Ted Cruz, who won that caucus.
Recently, I had the opportunity to interview him at the National Religious Broadcaster's Conference, and I urge you to listen to the podcast, in which he talks about his own change in thinking. After Cruz dropped out of the race, Vander Plaats backed Donald Trump, whose election he believes was "miraculous" because none of the polls or pundits thought it could possibly happen.
He has worked with Donald Trump personally. He says he supports him when he's right and tries to hold him accountable when he's wrong.
He also believes Trump is on a "faith journey."
"I see an evolution in the man," he told me. He also believes Trump is a strong leader who is developing into a statesman. In a meeting with the president he shared Exodus 18:21, which says leaders must be capable, fear God, be trustworthy and hate dishonest gain. He said he urged Trump not only to make Jesus his Savior but also his Lord.
Vander Plaats is quick to say that winning an election is like putting your finger in a dike—it only provides a temporary solution to a problem. What is really needed is cultural transformation, which will only come about when Christians pray.
To this end, he has developed an app called "If 714," available anywhere apps are found. I've downloaded it myself. "If 714" reminds people to pray at 7:14 in the morning and 7:14 in the evening. The Christian band Newsboys like it so much they feature it at every one of their concerts. I urge you to download it—and to pray.
Vander Plaats says something else significant: We can't put our faith in the White House. Our faith must be in God. He says there are "competing worldviews" today where some people believe God while other people don't. And if you don't believe God, anything goes in terms of behavior.
This is why he believes we need cultural transformation. It also explains why there are so many vicious attacks against Donald Trump, he says.
I'm glad responsible leaders like Bob Vander Plaats have access to leaders such as the president and can speak truth into their lives. Listen to the podcast and see if you agree.
Steve Strang is the founder of Charisma Media and president of Christian Life Missions. He is also the author of the best-seller God and Donald Trump. Follow him on Twitter and Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the Strang Report podcast, and here to sign up for the Strang Report newsletter.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details