In the matter of President Trump's firing of FBI Director James Comey Democrats have reversed course so fast that, as my high school football coach used to say, "Their brains have not caught up with their butts."
It wasn't that long ago that Democrats were howling for Comey's head, and as documented in Shattered, the excellent book about Hillary Clinton's doomed presidential campaign, Hillary Clinton herself blamed Comey for her election defeat.
However, now that he's been fired Comey is a Democratic hero akin to the victims of Richard Nixon's "Saturday Night Massacre" which led to the resignations of then-Attorney General Elliot Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelshaus during the Watergate scandal.
But let's be clear: The firing of James Comey is a blow for the rule of law and the exact opposite of Nixon's attempt to stifle the Watergate investigation.
In the "Saturday Night Massacre," Nixon was attempting to stymie the investigation of the Watergate break-in and cover-up by forcing Richardson or Ruckelshaus to fire Special Counsel Archibald Cox.
Quite the opposite happened Tuesday, when it was Comey who was fired for stymieing the investigations of Hillary Clinton and Huma Abedin by releasing and commenting on the details of the FBI investigation of their email practices, and then unilaterally clearing them, even though their conduct on its face showed a violation of a number of statutes.
While Democrats and their allies in the media struggle to make the Watergate connection Americans should give the memo justifying Comey's termination a close read.
In the memo, which you can read in PDF format through this link, highly respected career Department of Justice deputy attorney general Rod J. Rosenstein outlined how James Comey had repeatedly violated department protocol in his handling of the Clinton investigation.
The Rosenstein memo says in summary:
- Comey had been wrong to "usurp" the previous attorney general in July 2016 when he announced the Clinton emails inquiry should be closed without prosecution.
- That he had compounded his error by "gratuitously" releasing "derogatory information" about Hillary Clinton.
It is important to keep those two points in the context of our article "A Scandal So Great It Has No Name" in which we cover an interview with former federal prosecutor Joe diGenova.
The focus of our coverage was diGenova's concern about the FBI's failure—or refusal—to investigate the Obama-era unmasking of intelligence information on Americans in an effort to destroy their reputations for political purposes.
But diGenova had a lot more to say in the original interview, especially about James Comey, in which he referred to Comey as among the most "dangerous" of the Obama-era holdovers.
Joe diGenova later elaborated on this point in an interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson wherein he reiterated that he saw James Comey as "a danger to the country."
DiGenova, who served under President Reagan, said Comey's narcissism led him to take unnecessary and troubling steps during the Hillary Clinton email probe.
DiGenova said Comey thinks he "is the last righteous man left standing."
"He surrounds himself with his own cult of personality," diGenova said.
In this, diGenova was certainly correct, during the Obama era the rule of law, and the FBI in particular, became so completely corrupted by his arrogance that Comey could simply take it upon himself to decide who was going to have their reputation destroyed or who was going to be let off for clear felony-level violations of the law.
The firing of James Comey is a much-needed corrective to the Obama-Comey cult of government by personal whim and an important step toward the reestablishment of the rule of law; it should be applauded by all Americans.
George Rasley is editor of Richard Viguerie's ConservativeHQ.com.
This article was originally published at ConservativeHQ.com. Used with permission.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details