The Trump administration has voluntarily dismissed the government's appeal in Ave Maria School of Law v. Sebelius, solidifying a legal victory for the Catholic law school and repairing some of the damage done by the ObamaCare abortion and contraception mandate. Ave Maria is represented by Alliance Defending Freedom and Liberty Counsel.
In 2014, the law school won an injunction against the ObamaCare requirement that the school pay for contraception, sterilization and abortion through its health plan. The Obama administration appealed that ruling, and the case had been on hold since. But now the Trump administration, having just announced new exemptions from the mandate for religious employers like Ave Maria, took the additional step of dismissing the Obama administration's appeal.
The Trump administration announced last week that employers will now be exempt from the federal requirement to provide insurance coverage for contraception in their health insurance plans if it conflicts with their sincerely held religious or moral beliefs. This now limits a rule created under the Obama administration's Affordable Care Act that required that employers, including non-church religious organizations, must cover all forms of contraception, from birth control pills to abortion drugs and devices, at no cost to the employees.
"The ObamaCare contraceptive mandate seriously threatened the missions of countless Christian schools, hospitals and other institutions that provide invaluable benefits to our country but could not compromise their fundamental beliefs to appease President Obama's ambition to lead the sexual revolution," said Roger Gannam, Liberty Counsel's assistant vice president of legal affairs. "Bit by bit, religious liberty is being restored by President Trump."
"The Trump administration's decision to reverse the federal requirement for employers to provide insurance coverage for contraception and abortion drugs and devices upholds religious freedom for Ave Maria School of Law and other nonprofit organizations who cannot and will not participate in killing innocent children," said Mat Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel. "A Catholic university cannot teach students to stand for Christian values while it violates those same religious beliefs. The dismissal of this case is a great victory for the sanctity of life and for religious freedom."
For the original article, visit lc.org.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details