Planned Parenthood in Missouri has a new ally in its battle for increased abortion access: the Satanic Temple.
The religious and politically active national Satanist organization is backing the powerful abortion provider with state and federal lawsuits designed to challenge Missouri's informed consent and 72-hour-waiting period laws.
Planned Parenthood has been fighting in court this year in the state to keep abortion clinics from having to follow outpatient surgical center standards, and the Satanists are fighting to increase abortion access on another front.
The Satanic Temple says a pregnant woman in Missouri, "Mary Doe," wasn't able to carry out a "religiously motivated" abortion because of these laws.
The group argues in court that the state laws violate her right to religious practice under the state's Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
Missouri state laws require abortion providers to give patients the opportunity to view an ultrasound image of their unborn child and offer them a booklet that describes the development of children in the womb. They also require a 72-hour wait before an abortion.
Doe told the court that she adheres to Satanist beliefs which include: a person's body is inviolable and subject to her will alone, a person must make decisions regarding their health based on their best scientific understanding of the world and unborn babies ("non-viable fetus") are not separate human beings but a part of their mother's body.
A Cole County circuit court judge threw out the case in December, noting that patients are not forced to have an ultrasound or read the booklet.
But the Satanic Temple is back in court again this month.
The Kansas City Star reports that the state Court of Appeals began hearing arguments by the Satanists against the state laws on Monday. Next week, the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals will hear the Satanists' argument in court on Wednesday.
Susan Klein, executive director of Missouri Right to Life, told CBN News that she's confident overall that Missouri will continue to advance pro-life issues.
She said her organization is focused on passing right-to-life laws and enjoys the support of a "super-majority" of pro-life lawmakers in the state as well as a pro-life governor and attorney general.
Reprinted with permission from cbn.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, all rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer