Family Research Council President Tony Perkins released the following statement calling the nation to prayer and reconciliation as the national divide grows deeper:
"We are a divided nation that is in crisis. We are no longer talking to each other—only screaming at one another. We are like a married couple in crisis.
"I understand there are strong feelings about these statues given the inflamed rhetoric that is swirling around right now. However, tearing down statues and inciting violence is not the way forward.
"Where are the media's calls to civility that they issued immediately after James Hodgkinson, a Bernie Sanders supporter and volunteer who came to Washington with a hit list and shot my friend, Steve Scalise?
"I've dealt with those domestic situations as both a police officer and a pastor. I prefer the route of restoring the relationship rather than having to cart one of the parties off to jail, which rarely brings reconciliation.
"What I believe the president should do is call for a time out and call for a day of prayer for America's healing. I know there are some who will squawk at the idea of a Day of Prayer and Reconciliation—let them instead have a Day of Silence.
"Nothing good can come from the current shouting match that the left and right is engaged in—we are bitterly divided, and the fissure is only getting deeper by the day.
"I echo the media's message after Steve Scalise was shot: Ratchet down the rhetoric. But I add that we should go a step further this time, and let us take a day to seek God and pray for him to bring healing to our nation."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details